I love pasta. And cheese. Combine the two and bake it and it’s perfection. This recipe is great for eating with a big group of friends or family on a cold winter night. Enjoy!
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to coat the baking dish
- 16 oz. ricotta cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds of ziti
- 8 cups tomato sauce, heated (2 jars if you’re using store-bought)
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- Fresh basil, torn, for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly coat a 10 x 12-inch baking dish (or a lasagna pan) with the extra-virgin olive oil.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, egg yolk, 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, and parsley, mixing well.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as directed on the package until al dente. Drain well.
- Very carefully, add the cooked pasta to the ricotta mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add the heated tomato sauce and mozzarella, mixing well.
- Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle the top of the pasta with more Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until lightly browned, about 20 minutes or so.
- Let cool slightly, sprinkle with fresh basil (if desired), and enjoy.