I went apple picking at a local farm with a group of my friends this past October. The next day, I was babysitting my little sister and she saw the bag of apples I brought home and wanted to make an apple pie so we used a really easy recipe. Here it is:
- 2 9-inch pie crusts (one for the top crust, one for the bottom crust)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 cups thinly sliced and cored apple
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, vanilla and salt. Stir in the apples.
- Place into pie crust, dot with butter. Cut top crust into 3/4 inch thick slices and cover the pie in a lattice design. Seal the top crust to the bottom by pinching the edges together.
- Brush the top with 1 egg yolk and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Cover edge of the crust with a three inch strip of aluminum foil.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through top.