- 1 and 2/3 cups (210g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 egg whites*
- 1/4 cup (62g) yogurt (I used vanilla Greek)
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced strawberries (about 10 medium strawberries finely diced)
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (16g) cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons warm water to rid clumps
STRAWBERRY WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons (43g) granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- reserved 1/2 cup of strawberry filling
Make the strawberry filling first. Place the strawberries in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly for about 4 full minutes until the strawberry juices have been released. Add the sugar and cornstarch/water liquid and continue to stir for another 2 minutes. The mixture will be much thicker. Remove from heat and allow to cool as you prepare the cupcakes.
Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Stir in sugar – mixture will be gritty. Stir in egg whites, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Split 1 vanilla bean down the middle lengthwise. Scrape seeds from half of the vanilla bean into batter.
Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before filling and frosting.
Fill the cupcakes: Using a sharp knife, cut a circle/hole into the center of the cupcake to create a little pocket about 1/2 inch deep. Place 1 teaspoon of strawberry filling inside and top with the piece of cupcake you removed to seal. See photos above. Repeat with all 12 cupcakes. You will have leftover filling to use in the whipped cream.
Make the strawberry whipped cream: In a large bowl, whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together on high speed until stiff peaks begin to form, about 4-5 full minutes. Add the remaining strawberry filling and continue to beat for another 30 seconds. Frost the cupcakes with the strawberry whipped cream. You may have some whipped cream leftover.
Cover and store cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Whipped cream and filling may be made 1 day in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Serve cupcakes chilled.